Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

Chalmers to be Remodeled

Published: Friday, May 4, 2012

Updated: Thursday, November 15, 2012 01:11

Olin and Chalmers Library used to be state-of-the-art, but today, the building’s interior— with its worn-out couches and institutional study carrels— is anything but chic. This summer, however, that will all change, as the College plans to remodel the second floor of Chalmers. “It’s really just to give it a little bit of a facelift,” said Director of Library Services Amy Badertscher.

Much of the library’s current furniture dates from the 1980s, when Olin was built as an addition to Chalmers. The new furniture under consideration would add a modern, minimalist “Euro flair,” according to promotional materials provided by the furniture vendor. Remodeling will also provide admissions benefits since the designated area is part of the campus tour circuit.

Although the proposal is not final, plans have been made to improve shelving, computer stations, study tables and lounge chairs. There are also plans to increase the amount of natural light in the space. The height of the shelves, for example, may be reduced to five feet to let in more natural light. In addition, the library’s fluorescent ceiling lighting will be upgraded in June as part of Kenyon’s sustainability initiative.

Badertscher also plans to repaint the walls this summer, hoping to update the library’s current gray color. “I’m really not sure [of] the history of this shade, but no one is a fan,” she said.

The entire list of desired projects cannot be completed this summer, Badertscher said. Library patrons who wish to voice their opinions or suggestions can contribute to a comment board outside Badertscher’s office, which is located on the south side of the second floor of Chalmers.

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article! Log in to Comment

You must be logged in to comment on an article. Not already a member? Register now

Log In