Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

After Spartans Stalemate, Ladies Defeat Terriers

Published: Thursday, October 25, 2012

Updated: Thursday, November 15, 2012 01:11

Women’s soccer still has postseason hopes after defeating North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) opponent Hiram College on Tuesday, Oct. 23. Although their shot percentage was low, the Ladies scored one goal in 43 shot attempts to pull out the win.

Kenyon came onto the field with a vengeance Tuesday after tying Case Western Reserve University 1-1 this past Saturday in Cleveland. Katie Hoener ’15 clinched the tie for the Ladies, scoring her first collegiate goal with only five minutes left in regulation. Neither team was able to score during overtime. Head Coach Kelly Bryan said the result was possible due to the “team’s resolve and group effort.”

After their trip to Cleveland, the Ladies geared up to face Hiram. In the beginning of the second half, Kenyon’s powerhouse, forward Rebecca Romaine ’15, pounded a penalty shot in the back of the Hiram net after a foul on the Terriers’ goalkeeper. Romaine’s goal was her 13th of the year and her sixth game-winning goal. Hiram took only two shots, neither of which went near the goal, allowing goalie Lauren Wolfe ’14 to claim her sixth shutout of the season.

The Ladies will play their last in-season game at Wittenberg University on Saturday. If they win, the possibility of a trip to the NCAC championship will be within reach. While Wittenberg will be a tough team to beat — they are 6-0-1 in the NCAC — Denison University, a team the Ladies demolished earlier this month, managed a tie against Wittenberg.

Heather Amato ’13 reflected on the season, saying, “We’ve done a great job during the past few games of recognizing when we need to pick it up and doing so in the second half.” But, she added, “our biggest challenge right now is starting the game with confidence and intensity.” The senior defender is looking forward to the last regulation game of her Kenyon career. “We have a lot of talent and great chemistry — hopefully that will translate into a solid win this weekend.”

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article! Log in to Comment

You must be logged in to comment on an article. Not already a member? Register now

Log In