Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

Division I Redhawks Beat Ladies

Staff Writer

Published: Thursday, November 15, 2012

Updated: Thursday, November 15, 2012 01:11

Last Friday, the Ladies swim ming and diving team went up against the Division I Redhawks from Miami (of Ohio) University, falling short 116-175.  The Ladies placed first in both the 400 medley and freestyle relays, along with the 100 breaststroke and the 200 butterfly.  

Although they won only six events, the Ladies had several good swims in the meet.   Hannah Saiz ’13 came in first in the 200 butterfly with a time of 2:05.34, a National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) “B-cut” qualifying time.  

Saiz also competed as part of the 400 medley relay with an individual time of 56.22, which lowered the relay’s total time to 3:53.21. 

“We put every ounce of effort in beating the person next to us, which actually helped a lot of us go our best in-season times,” Katie Kaestner ’16 said. 

Kaestner took first in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:05.82.  She also competed with Haley Townsend ’16, Anna Connolly ’13 and Hillary Yarosh ’14 in the 400 freestyle relay, where they earned a qualifying time of 3:32.87. 

Two other women, Mariah Williamson ’16 and Syd Lindblom ’14 also managed to earn qualifying times in the 1650 freestyle, with times of 17:22.23 and 17:36.93 respectively.  

Maria Zarka ’16 finished third in both the one meter and three meter dives, with a point total of 288.23 in the former and 287.25 in the latter.  

The scores secured her a spot at NCAA DIII Nationals in the spring.

The NCAA’s diving regulations stipulate that a diver must meet qualifying scores at two non-conference meets. Zarka previously scored 282.38 in one-meter diving and 275.53 in three-meter diving at Denison University.

“In-season meets have never been about winning or losing as about getting up to race,” Saiz said of the Ladies’ performance. “The Ladies showed excitement, tenacity and a drive to compete.  That’s what we look for in dual meets, and the Ladies brought it.” 

“We are simply building on each meet as it passes.” added Kaestner. “With each meet, the Ladies are discovering all the little things we can improve on.” 

The Ladies and the Lords compete again next weekend at the TYR Invitational hosted at Northwestern University in Evanston, Ill.   

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article! Log in to Comment

You must be logged in to comment on an article. Not already a member? Register now

Log In