Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

Ladies finish 15th at DIII All-Ohio Championship

Plick breaks College record in mile run.

Published: Thursday, February 14, 2013

Updated: Thursday, February 14, 2013 02:02

wer

Courtesy of Martin Fuller

Alexia Derkasch ’13 placed fifth in the 400-meter dash on Saturday.

The Ladies indoor track team competed this past Saturday in the All-Ohio Division III Indoor Track and Field Championship at Otterbein University. The Ladies finished 15th overall with a score of 14 points, while first and second place went to the University of Mount Union with 110.5 points and Ohio Wesleyan University with 97 points, respectively. 

The team was prepared, according to Natalie Plick ’16, who broke the College record in the mile run during the meet. “The whole team maintained their training leading up to the meet. We had some difficult workouts, but by the end of the week we were tapering … to run faster on Saturday,” she said. “We’re going to try and keep improving, keep having fun, and hopefully find some meets where there will be good competition to get even faster.”

Plick’s record-shattering run was the best showing by a Lady at the meet. She dominated the mile run, taking first place with a time of 5:04.73, sliding ahead of the competition by a lengthy five-second margin. Her time broke the previous Kenyon record for the mile, 5:04.82, set last semester by Jenna Willett ’14. 

“I had three goals: number one was to win, number two was to PR [personal record] and number three was a time goal that I have for this race,” Plick said. “The strategy was to run the first half, which was four laps, not in the lead, just sitting off the person who was leading, and at the halfway point, to get by them and pick the speed up so that would hopefully get a win.”

Plick’s mile time also netted her the North Coast Athletic Conference’s Distance Runner of the Week award. Additionally, it seeds hers as the 17th-best mile time in the nation and the second-fastest time for a first-year. Plick said that while she was very pleased with her record-setting mile time, it did come as a bit of a surprise to her.  

“I was very shocked when I crossed the line and saw the time, because the first leap was so slow, it was really slow for a mile, so I was surprised I was able to pick it up so much,” she said. “I was also surprised because the race itself was so consuming, so I wasn’t focused so much on the splits so much as I was in the race. So to realize I had been running that was surprising. [The time] made me really excited and a little more confident about conferences and some of the competition.”

Head Coach Duane Gomez also praised Plick’s effort. “She’s running really well, but for a freshman [she] is really incredible … it was a good field; there were some pretty good runners out there,” he said. “I don’t think we’ve ever had a freshman win the mile before.”

Other Ladies also found success at the meet, including Alexia Derkasch ’13, who finished fifth in the 400-meter dash with a time of 1:01.40, and Serena Glynn ’16, who finished 10th in the 5,000-meter run with a time of 19:00.76, breaking her own personal record for the event. She was followed closely by Clara Heiden ’15 in 14th place with a time of 19:18.41. In the relays, the women’s distance medley team of Willett, Samantha White ’16, Aisha Simon ’15 and Lauren Bittrich ’16 snatched 10th place with a combined time of 13:25.51 and the women’s 4x200-meter relay team of Ramelle Brown ’13, Alexia Derkasch ’13, Emma Levant ’16 and Leah Jacques ’13 took 11th place in 1:52.66. “That’s what these meets are for, to see what you can do and to get more confident in your racing. We’re pretty happy. It was a good meet,” Gomez said.   

The Ladies’ next meet is this Saturday’s Kenyon College Classic here in Gambier. “We want to do really well, we want to get better times for conference, get better seeding and things like that,” Gomez said.

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article! Log in to Comment

You must be logged in to comment on an article. Not already a member? Register now

Log In