Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

Ladies lacrosse extends win streak to six games

After a 2-0 weekend, the Ladies beat Denison University 15-10 in Granville yesterday.

Published: Thursday, April 25, 2013

Updated: Thursday, April 25, 2013 02:04

sdf

Courtesy of Martin Fuller

Leah Sack ’13 tied her single-game assists record against Wooster.

After trouncing the Hiram College Terriers 18-1, the Ladies lacrosse team returned home and dominated the College of Wooster 14-8 this past Saturday in their final home game of the regular season. With the win over Wooster, the Ladies clinched their first berth to the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) tournament since 2010. 

“I feel like it’s just all coming together,” Marissa Henderson ’13 said. “I think we can definitely go really far this year.”

When the Ladies faced Hiram on April 18, it was the first time the two schools met on the lacrosse field; Hiram’s lacrosse program is new this year. The Ladies’ offensive avalanche began early when Amy Morgan ’14 scored 14 seconds into the game. It wasn’t long before Leah Sack ’13 found the net and Alex Bair ’14, too. 

Nine different Ladies scored in the first half, giving Kenyon a 15-1 lead over the Terriers. Bair scored again in the second half, followed by goals from Michelle Picard ’15 and Alexandra Hamilton ’13. Henderson, a defender, scored her first two goals of the season in the first half, and said that the blowout win allowed the Ladies to change up their positioning.

“[The Terriers] have some really capable players up there,” Head Coach Meredith Buzzi said, “but we just shut them down on Thursday.”

Buzzi called Saturday’s game against Wooster “a big target game from the beginning of the season.”

The Ladies got on the board first, with a goal by Jane Symmes ’16 five minutes in. The Scots responded with two goals of their own. Symmes, assisted by Sack, tied the game with a goal at 21:23, and Bair scored a few minutes later to put the Ladies ahead.

“Our defense has been exceptional all season and it’s really coming to fruition for them to see their goals be realized,” Buzzi said. “And not everybody always pays attention to the defensive end of the field just because it’s not the stats and it’s not the kind of the glory of the game.”

Sack had 10 points against the Scots, and her nine assists tied her single-game record set against Wooster back in 2010. 

Her performance over the weekend earned her the NCAC Player of the Week award for women’s lacrosse, her first this season and the fourth of her career.

“She’s having an outstanding year,” Buzzi said. “She’s a great team player, [and] a wonderful leader for us.”

Last night, the Ladies headed to Granville to take on Denison University in another crucial conference matchup. The Ladies beat the Big Red 15-10, and only need a win this weekend to clinch home field advantage in the playoffs.

“They’re the reigning NCAC champion so that gives us a little bit more fire to work with,” Buzzi said before the game. “I think that we are one of the stronger teams to take on a Denison team. We’re on a pretty good roll right now. It’s a game we want to win.” 

Saturday, April 27, will include another historic game for the Ladies when they play their final game of the regular season against DePauw University. Like Hiram, DePauw is another first-year team, so the game will be the first Ladies-Tigers matchup. 

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article! Log in to Comment

You must be logged in to comment on an article. Not already a member? Register now

Log In