Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

Lords Rule the KAC Pool

Men’s swimming defeats Ohio Wesleyan and Wittenberg University.

Published: Thursday, February 7, 2013

Updated: Thursday, February 7, 2013 02:02

Lords swimming and diving dominated last weekend. On Friday, Feb. 1, they demolished Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) 178-4, and at home on Saturday they beat Wittenberg University 199-85.   

In his home pool, Curtis Ramsey ’13 won the 100-yard freestyle in 44.95, good for a trip to the NCAA Division III Championship in March. And Andrew Chevalier ’14, who took first in the 1,000-yard individual medley, was named the North Coast Athletic Conference Swimmer of the Week. 

Other standout performances on Saturday included victories by Percy Gates ’16 in the 200-yard freestyle, Ian Stewart-Bates ’13 in the 50-yard freestyle and Jon Rooker ’13 in the 100- and 200-yard backstroke. Jimmy Chapman ’13 topped the field in the 100-yard butterfly and Nick Charriez ’13 did the same in the 200-yard butterfly. Kenyon’s 200-yard medley relay teams took the top three spots, and the 200-yard freestyle relay teams hit the wall in first and second. Suffice it to say, the Lords swam fast. 

This pair of meets was the first time the Lords had competed since a second-place finish in a University of Cincinnati tri-meet two weekends before. Head Coach Jessen Book ’01 said that because swimming is a sport in which “you structure your life around training,” the team’s workouts are largely unaffected by the proximity of any competition from week to week. Rather, the workouts themselves “drive [the team] through the season” and set the pace and tone for most of the season. 

The workload in the water is often oriented toward meets at the very end of the season, when structured rest in the practice schedule combined with several months of intense conditioning allow the Lords to record large time drops in their races. 

More than anything, Book treats these last two regular-season meets as opportunities to prepare the team mentally for the unique nature of post-season competition. Since the NCAC championship meet is spread over three days — Thursday, Friday and Saturday, Feb. 14, 15 and 16 — Book tailored his lineups for the OWU and Wittenberg meets to have his swimmers compete in “one primary event on Friday, and a different primary event on Saturday” for the purpose of simulating the conditions of the NCAC meet.  

Despite his conservative estimates, Book expressed a good deal of optimism about the team’s prospects in post-season competition, which commences on Thursday, Feb. 14. 

“Something we try to do here at Kenyon is evaluate success relative to ourselves,” he said. “You shouldn’t ever evaluate the success of your season based on the place your team gets at the end of the season.”

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article! Log in to Comment

You must be logged in to comment on an article. Not already a member? Register now

Log In