Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

Men’s Indoor Track Takes Fourth at Wooster Quad Meet

Published: Thursday, January 31, 2013

Updated: Thursday, January 31, 2013 03:01

wer

Courtesy of Martin Fuller

Jake Fishbein ’13 won the 60-meter dash this past weekend at the College of Wooster with a time of 7.22 seconds.

On Saturday, Jan. 28, the Kenyon men’s track and field team competed in its second meet of the indoor season, finishing last out of four teams at the North Coast Athletic Conference Quad Meet at the College of Wooster. In addition to  the Lords, Allegheny College, Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) and host Wooster competed at the meet. OWU finished in first place with 166 team points, followed by Allegheny in second with 142 points, Wooster in third with 107 points and Kenyon rounding out the field with 104 points. 

Highlights from the meet included a one-two finish by Jake Fishbein ’13 and Carlo Gagliardo ’14 in the men’s 60-meter dash; a second-place finish by Joey Cordle ’14 in the men’s 60- meter hurdles; a first-place finish by Kenyon’s relay of Fishbein, Gagliardo, Cordle and Noah Winters ’15 in the men’s 4x200-meter race; and a second-place finish by the relay of Nat Fox ’16, Willy Friedlander ’14, Ulises Arbelo ’16 and Sam Lagasse ’16 in the men’s distance medley. The 4x200 relay team’s time of 1:33.56 is extremely close to Kenyon’s  indoor record of 1:33.16, achieved in 2011,  and the 4x4 time of 3:32.78 is within striking distance of the team’s indoor record of 3:30.45. Of these two relays, Head Coach Duane Gomez predicted, “they’ll probably be breaking those [records] in the next couple weeks or so.”

At the same meet last year, the Lords finished in third place. Gomez does not see finishing a place lower as a step backwards however. The Lords trailed the Fighting Scots by only three points, an outcome that can easily be altered by moving up a place in one or two races. Gomez is also optimistic because many returning runners are already “faster than [at this time] last year.” He said this speaks to the sheer amount of hard work that his returning runners have done in the off-season to stay in shape and improve their conditioning. It also cannot be overlooked that many strong first-year runners are already making an enormous impact upon the team’s success. In addition to the stellar performances by Arbelo, Fox, and Lagasse, Sean Smith ’16 cranked out a third-place finish in the mile run with a time of 4:41.32, and Stephen Sigmier ’16 and Adam Curtis ’16 placed fourth and fifth, respectively, in the men’s pole vault event. Given these efforts, it is not hard to imagine that this nucleus from the Class of 2016 could have record-breaking success in the coming years. 

On Saturday Feb. 2, the team is scheduled to travel to Wooster once again for the College of Wooster Classic. In addition to the host Wooster, Kenyon will face Baldwin-Wallace College, Denison University and Wittenberg University. Even though home meets are generally considered most favorable, Gomez believes that the continuity provided by running at the same venue two weekends in a row will benefit his team. In addition, Gomez said that he plans to construct a lineup for the Wooster Classic that, in contrast to the more experimental lineup used in the Quad Meet, will allow the Lords to display their talents in the events in which they are most proficient and most comfortable.

Gomez’s gaze extends beyond this weekend’s coming meet, however. The All-Ohio Championships, which are scheduled for a week from this Saturday, are a major milestone for judging the team’s progress through this season. In order to qualify for the meet, individual runners must record one of the top 16 times in the state of Ohio, and relay teams must place in the top 12. He allows that it is “pretty difficult” to qualify for this elite competition, but nevertheless it is an annual goal of his to have as many runners as possible compete in the All-Ohio meet.

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article! Log in to Comment

You must be logged in to comment on an article. Not already a member? Register now

Log In