Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

Softball reaching wins record

The Ladies swept Wooster in a doubleheader last Sunday.

Published: Thursday, April 25, 2013

Updated: Thursday, April 25, 2013 02:04

With two outs and the bases loaded in Wooster, Ohio last Sunday, Emily Prehoda ’13 made a catch worthy of national attention. “I was literally yelling ‘Oh shoot’ and then immediately ‘Oh my God she just caught that ball,’” Head Coach Erin O’Neill said. “It was the best catch I have seen in the outfield. It was awesome. It would have made SportsCenter.”

It was a great day overall for the Ladies softball team. They swept the College of Wooster Fighting Scots 10-4 and 11-1 in a doubleheader, bringing them to 8-4 in conference and 20-11 overall. It’s the second-best record the Ladies have garnered in the program’s 16-year history. 

The Ladies approached the Fighting Scots as they have every other North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) rival they’ve faced. “We knew we could win from the beginning. But we couldn’t get complacent,” Jamie Samuel ’13 said. Samuel lit up the Fighting Scots, going 7-8 at the plate with two doubles, five runs scored and three RBIs. 

O’Neill singled out the ability to put the ball in play with runners in scoring position, and then coming up with the big hit to drive in those runs as key components of the succesful season. 

“The way that we hit the ball completely deflated them,” O’Neill said. “I thought it was going to be a much more competitive game. It’s just how we showed up. We showed up and we were aggressive at bat.”  

In the first game Toni Miller ’15 broke a tie in the third inning, smashing a double to left-center that drove in two runs. Leading 7-3 and heading into the last inning, a two-run double from Maddy Stark ’15 and an RBI single from Lindsey Susolik ’16 closed out the game 10-4. 

“Just getting that lead, and the fact that we kept scoring throughout the game, really helped. Sometimes we can get complacent,” Stark said. “We kept getting runs every inning we played.” 

Stark pitched both games and set the record with most wins as a starter in a single season. She gave up 11 hits and four runs in game one, but allowed just one run and four hits in game two. “I pitched the same against Wooster as I did any other team in the conference,” Stark said.

Game two was much less of a contest. Miller, Liz Paterra ’15 and Hayley Howard ’15 had two RBIs each in the first inning alone. 

Chelsea Delaney ’15 had four RBIs, scored two runs in game two and went 6-7 overall against Wooster that day. She cracked her team-leading seventh homer in the second inning to extend the lead to 7-0. 

Samuel had two hits in the game to bring her season average to .532, and the Ladies’ offensive onslaught led to a final score of 11-1. 

“I was seeing the ball really well. I was very relaxed. I was calm,” Samuel said. 

The Ladies now turn their attention to doubleheaders against Denison University on Thursday and DePauw University on Saturday. If the Ladies win the next four games, they will qualify for their first NCAC tournament. 

“No doubt we can beat Denison or DePauw. No doubt. We can beat anybody. It just depends on what team shows up,” Samuel said. “If the Kenyon Ladies that showed up for Wooster show up for Denison and DePauw, we can win the next four and host the tournament for next week. I think we can continue to do better. It’s only the beginning for the Kenyon Ladies softball program.”

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article! Log in to Comment

You must be logged in to comment on an article. Not already a member? Register now

Log In