Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

Women’s Swimming Blows Competition Out of Water

Published: Thursday, February 7, 2013

Updated: Thursday, February 7, 2013 02:02

This past weekend, the Ladies swimming and diving team doused the competition with wins on Feb. 1 and 2. Away, the Ladies beat Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) 191-46, and at home on Saturday they beat Wittenberg University 214-82.

Hannah Cooper ’15 had a double victory against OWU in the 200-yard individual medley and the 100-yard butterfly. The Ladies went on to win seven more events, including Syd Lindblom’s ’14 victory in the 1,000-yard freestyle, Mariah Williamson’s ’16 in the 200-yard freestyle, and Hailey Schneider’s ’14 in the 100-yard breaststroke. 

In diving, Maria Zarka ’16 swept the one- and three-meter dives while back in the lanes Katie Kaestner ’16 won the 50-yard freestyle and Hannah Lobb ’16 came in first in the 100-yard freestyle. Celia Oberholzer ’15 won the 100-yard backstroke and Hannah Saiz ’13 cleaned up the 500-yard freestyle. 

Ending the meet, the relay team of Kate Haller ’13, Hillary Yarosh ’14, Lobb and Haley Townsend ’16 finished first in the 200-yard freestyle relay.

Against Wittenberg the following day, the Ladies were equally impressive, only losing the 200-yard breaststroke. Townsend and Lindblom each won two events for Kenyon, the former taking first in both the 50- and 100-yard freestyle events, and the latter sweeping up the 400-yard individual medley and the 500-yard freestyle. 

Other victories included Natalie Parker ’16 in the 100-yard butterfly, Kaestner in the 100-yard breaststroke, Williamson in the 1,000-yard freestyle, Oberholzer in the 200-yard backstroke and, finally, Yarosh in the 200-yard freestyle.

Last Saturday also marked the last home meet for graduating seniors Saiz, Haller, Anna Connolly and Kiersten Bell, who were acknowledged at the start of the meet by their team for their many contributions to the program. Saiz and Haller both snatched up wins, Saiz in the 200-yard butterfly and Haller in the 100-yard backstroke.

The Ladies will swim next at the North Coast Atlantic Conference Championship meet, from Feb. 14 to 16 in Canton, Ohio. Cooper said the Ladies will be ready when the time comes.

“I feel like this year we are very excited for [conference], but there’s also a lot of thought about what’s going to be at [the National Collegiate Athletic Association Championships] as well,” she said. “We’re tapering and resting for conference with the idea in mind that NCAAs is after that.”

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article! Log in to Comment

You must be logged in to comment on an article. Not already a member? Register now

Log In